Controller Calgary, AB
Controller – Calgary
Our oil & gas transportation client in Calgary is seeking an office based Controller to lead their Accounting team. This role reports into the CFO and will have approximately 10 administrative staff (branch and head office) reporting to this position.
The Role – summary
- Spearheading the annual financial planning process for the group of companies.
- Oversee preparation of monthly financial statements and analysis.
- Preparing variance analysis to highlight opportunities for cost control.
- Taking responsibility for quality of all deliverables of the Finance function.
- Managing the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results.
- Becoming the resident expert on the financial reporting system and help resolve system issues and offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes.
- Overseeing treasury operations to optimize debt and cash balances.
- Establishing policies and procedures to enhance the system of internal controls.
- Coaching and Mentoring the Team
- Participate in hiring, training and retaining skilled accounting staff.
- Oversight of the Company’s insurance program and liaise with the Company’s insurance broker.
- Preparation of forecasts and budget
- Establish relationships with the company’s bankers (4 institutions) and prepare weekly and monthly bank reports.
- Oversee annual audit process
- establish relationships with branch management and administrative personnel. Regularly visit branch locations
Education and Experience
- 5+ years’ experience in a similar role
- CPA Designation
- Deep understanding of financial statements
- Previous experience at a professional services firm is an asset
- Financial modeling skills using advanced excel functions.
- A mature approach to Problem solving by diving deeper and considering broader business implications.
- Experience managing a team and developing people.